CEO and President
Full-time Staff - Canada, North America
Apply by: 20th July 2012
Dignitas International is a leader in the development of solutions for global health. We envision a world in which health care is available to all, regardless of wealth, gender, or geography. By working in partnership with patients, health workers, researchers, and policymakers, we aim to realize this vision by tackling the barriers to health care in resource-limited communities. Combining frontline expertise and rigorous research, we save lives and defend the health and dignity of the world’s most vulnerable by increasing access to care, strengthening health systems, and shaping health policy at the regional and international levels. Dignitas is a registered charity in both Canada and the United States.
Dignitas is seeking a dynamic and inspirational CEO who will provide strategic and operational expertise to our organization at a transformative time in its history. The CEO will possess relevant research and public health expertise, senior management experience and a relentless passion for equitable access to health care, especially for vulnerable populations. Leading Dignitas’s growth, the CEO will build donor relationships, optimize financial performance, and represent Dignitas to various publics including institutional partners and policy networks. This position, based in Toronto, Canada, works closely with an active Board of Directors and is responsible for further building systems and procedures to accomplish the organization’s mission and reach strategic goals. This is an exciting opportunity to share Dignitas’s vision and purpose within the global health community and to be an active and passionate leader of Dignitas.
• Health professional (i.e. MD, Nurse, Doctorate or Masters) with advanced training in public health or related Global Health field (e.g.: epidemiology, health anthropology, health economics, etc.)
Experience & Competencies
• Minimum 5-7 years experience leading complex organizations, overseeing and supervising management staff, instituting effective performance management practices and supporting teams to excel.
• Minimum 5-7 years international experience in leadership positions, in field-based positions in Africa, Asia or Latin America managing integrated, health development programs with national governments, international NGOs and/or national/local health or research organizations. Sub-Saharan works experience a strong asset.
• Significant experience in HIV, communicable diseases or primary health care and health systems strengthening, and research associated with these issues.
• Demonstrated experience with public health and research, and ability to articulate the importance of this commitment to varied audiences.
• Experience working in a senior role within a non-profit organization led by a Board of Directors; knowledge and ability to oversee marketing, fundraising, financial management of a multi-million dollar charity, and management and governance related to charitable organizations in transnational settings.
• Proven success in fundraising to support a charitable organization.
• Demonstrated experience facilitating and building strategic local and international partnerships with other organizations for programming, research and advocacy.
• Proven experience building working relationships that cross the philanthropic, business, academic, NGO, and government communities.
• Experience with major program donors (e.g. USAID, CDC, EU, DFID), institutional foundations (e.g. Gates), research granting agencies (e.g. WHO, CIHR, IDRC, NIH) and philanthropic supporters.
• Excellent oral, written and graphical communication skills, with a demonstrated capacity to convey technically sophisticated messages to diverse audiences.
• Experience developing or overseeing the development of innovative strategies employing new media and social media to further organizational goals.
• A strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial spirit, who is innovative and able to prioritize and yet be flexible in meeting the demands of a dynamic and fast-growing non-profit environment.
• Persuasive, articulate, and comfortable as the public face of the organization.
• A leader who is a team player who engenders trust and confidence both internally and externally.
• Collaborative, results-oriented management style.
• Diplomatic with a high level of intercultural and political acuity.
• Willingness to travel 30% or more annually.
How to Apply
Please send a CV and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention Jobs4Development in your application