Re-advertised: Medical Specialist as Lecturer of Associate Clinicians in Zambia
Full-time Staff - Zambia, Africa
Apply by: 8th July 2017
SolidarMed is an established yet innovative Swiss NGO focusing on health in Africa. The aim of our work is to improve health in rural areas of the poorest countries in Africa. As a response to the shortage of doctors in rural areas of Zambia, SolidarMed has, since 2009, supported the Zambian National training program for Associate Clinicians, who are called “Medical Licentiates (ML)” in Zambia.
Chainama College of Health Sciences in Lusaka is SolidarMed’s main partner for this programme.
In 2013/14, the training for Medical Licentiates was upgraded and accredited as a Bachelor level programme in Clinical Sciences (BSc CS) under the auspices of the University of Zambia – School of Medicine. Training cycles are divided into on-site theoretical courses and extensive clinical rotations at accredited General Hospitals, mostly in rural areas of Zambia.
To achieve its aim of delivering high quality training, CCHS seeks to further strengthen the teaching capacity of the Medical Licentiate Department with support from SolidarMed. This position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced medical doctor/ clinical lecturer with an interest in capacity-building and teaching both at the college and the practical training sites. The specialist teaching area may be negotiated depending on applicant’s background and interests.
Key tasks and responsibilities will be:
• Lecturing ML students at CCHS in major clinical subjects (e.g. paediatrics, obstetrics and gynaecology, or basic surgery)
• Support the consultants at the practical training sites to plan, structure and improve their teaching
• Support the Medical Licentiate Department in developing and using quality assurance tools for improved training
• Professional use of Project-Cycle-Management tools (planning, reporting etc.)
• Contribute to the development of an operational research agenda
To best fit into our team, we are looking for a candidate with the following qualifications:
• Specialist Medical Doctor with teaching experience in degree level courses
• Competence, experience and interest in teaching, supervision and interaction with students
• Intercultural sensitivity, good communication skills and a high degree of social competence
• Hands-on, pro-active personality, able to develop initiatives
• Clinical work experience in Africa would be an asset
• Diploma in Tropical Medicine, Public Health or HIV management would be an asset
• Fluency in English (good writing skills necessary)
Place of assignment: Chainama College of Health Sciences, Lusaka, Zambia – with extensive travel to the practical training sites
We offer: A state of the art project with exciting implementation possibilities, an attractive Swiss standard benefit package, free housing, professional development opportunities and stimulating linkages with national and international competence networks. Family posting possible.
Employment: 100% (full-time).
Contract duration: Three years (until end of 2018)
Starting date: Early 2016
Deadline for applications: 9th August 2015
Further information: Benefits are outlined in the SolidarMed General Conditions of Employment found on our website under “Open Jobs”. For details about the position, contact Anna Häggblom at email@example.com
• Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org , including CV with photo, three references with contact details and a short cover letter.
• Please mention “Lecturer CCHS” as reference in the subject-line of the email and on your application documents.
• SolidarMed accepts online applications only; we kindly ask to not send duplicate hard-copies by post.
• Please note that SolidarMed will only contact shortlisted candidates.
• As equal opportunities employer, SolidarMed encourages applications from women.
Please mention Jobs4Development in your application