Director of Communications
International Budget Partnership
Full-time Staff - United States of America, North America
Apply by: 31st May 2017
The Director of Communications will manage and mentor the Communications team and work closely with IBP’s leadership to develop and oversee the strategic direction, design and planning, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s communications — including print and digital communications, media relations, government and institutional relations, and promotion and visual identity, as well as contribute to donor relations. The Director will be a member of IBP’s executive management team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES of the JOB: The Director of Communications will be expected to:
1. Work with senior colleagues to develop, coordinate, implement, and evaluate an IBP-wide integrated communications strategy and planning;
2. Lead a team of five that advances the organization’s agenda and supports its programs through such tools and tactics as strategy and message development, editorial support, social media and digital communications, powerful storytelling, media relations, design and creative services, and digital and video production, among others;
3. Oversee all communications policies, guidelines, and processes to: manage the IBP brand; ensure the production of high-quality, high-impact work; and steward organizational resources effectively;
4. Serve as a key member of executive management team to ensure that our communications are aligned with organizational goals and integrated strategically into the program work to maximize IBP impact;
5. Identify and manage upcoming communications opportunities and priorities and implement strategies accordingly in collaboration with program teams;
6. Work closely with the Associate Director of Development to build materials that increase and diversify our funding base, especially in Europe and with individual donors;
7. Help further establish the organization’s place in the international policy world as a sought-after, independent, nongovernment voice on country and international public finance and development issues, by building on IBP’s leadership in the field and raising the profile of our research and advocacy;
8. Develop and cultivate relationships with a cadre of international and country-based journalists at key media outlets to raise the profile of public finance in development issues;
9. Identify and help to cultivate relationships with key influencers, leaders, and allies in the field to raise and broaden IBP’s visibility and to amplify our outreach efforts; and
10. Work with program staff to support the communications efforts of our partners on the ground in developing countries to influence budget policies and outcomes;
11. Manage the performance of Communications’ team members and contribute to their professional growth and development
12. Identify and negotiate the resources required for the implementation of the communication strategy and monitor the annual team budget; and
13. Ensure integration of IBP's MEL and strategy development into all levels of the communications work.
1. Participate in IBP all-staff retreats, and lead Communication team meetings.
2. Draft terms of reference for consultants, and monitor the execution and monitoring of consultant performance.
3. Coordinate closely with the IBP Operations team for all administrative and logistical needs.
4. Comply with all IBP administrative and financial protocols, policies and procedures.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, and/or equivalent required; Master’s degree, preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans that focus on influencing public policy.
• A successful track record in day-to-day communications strategy and tactical implementation, as well as longer-term planning and evaluation.
• Significant experience communicating to a variety of audiences via traditional and new media.
• Significant experience in leading teams, managing staff, and project operations as well as working overseas and/or on international issues.
• Experience with, or expertise in, budget issues a plus.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Language skills – Fluency in English required
• Strong interpersonal and cross-communication skills, and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork in a diverse work environment.
• High level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office package, required; proficiency with other specialist software applications, desirable.
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for IBP’s mission
• Highly flexible and adaptable to shifting environments; work well under pressure
• Motivated to learn and willing to contribute to learning initiatives
• International travel
Send a cover application letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Director of Communications” in the subject area. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please mention Jobs4Development in your application